Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Autumn's Sweet Lesson Learned

Thought I'd share one of Autumn's lessons learned. She was talking to me the other day after getting home from school and mentioned that she "decided" something. A little background; first day of school, Autumn met a "new friend" and was so excited. Second day of school, "new friend" made another friend and decided to not be Autumn's friend, Autumn was very sad. Autumn told her "new friend" that three people could be friends, but "new friend" said no. Third day, Autumn told me that "new friend" was her friend at recess for a little while until "other friend" showed up, then "new friend" went off with her. Follow so far. Day four, "new friend" told Autumn that she didn't want to be friends with anyone, oddly enough, Autumn was okay with that. Day Five, Autumn was sad that "new friend" was again, friends with "other friend."

Lesson Learned. Autumn told me that she really wanted to be this girl's friend, at first, because she was really cute, but then she realized that it doesn't matter how cute someone is, it just matters how nice they are to you. She said that she is going to pick her friends by how they treat her. I was very proud of her and told her that sadly enough, there are even adults that have never learned that lesson. I told her that she was very smart to learn that lesson the first week of Kindergarten and if she always remembers it, she will have many good friends in her lifetime. I love being a mom when I hear such simple, but profound things.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Way to go Autumn! A good lesson to learn early on.

kristin said...

It's awesome how much they pick up on soo early, isn't it? cool.

beckee said...

Bryn, this story just broke my heart! But I was so impressed with Autumn-smart girl!!! She is great!

Laura said...

We want to hear half marathon details and to see the pics!